Should I practice riding a motorcycle before attending the BRC?

  • NO: just riding in a parking lot without proper instruction a rider can start to develop habits. If these habits are incorrect, it is hard to break them.
    • While riding a motorcycle before class is not recommended, riding a bicycle as slow as possible can help with balance.

Are there other courses to allow a motorcycle rider to get better?

  • Yes: see our COURSES page for more information


Do I need a motorcycle license(endorsement)?

If you wish to operate any two or three wheel motorcycle, whose engine is more than 50 cc or produces more than 3 break horse power (BHP), you are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license or a motorcycle-only license.

FYI: Riding a motorcycle without proper endorsement is a misdemeanor. Persons caught operating a vehicle that they are not licensed or endorsed to operate face up to 6 months in jail and up to a $600 fine, plus the fines for whatever caused law enforcement to detain them in the first place.

I have a scooter, Do I need a license or endorsement?

  • If 50cc or less, these vehicles are not motorcycles by driver license law definition, section 322.01 (26), Florida Statutes so a motorcycle endorsement is not needed per section 322.03(4), Florida Statutes. However, to operate them on streets and roadways, you must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator (Class E) or “Motorcycle Only” driver license. (Reason: even though these vehicles are 50cc or less, they still fall under the driver license law definition of “Motor Vehicles” and a driver license is required to operate a “motor vehicle”). See sections 322.03(1), 322.01(27) and 322.05(1), Florida Statutes.

Will Florida accept my out of state motorcycle endorsement? The motorcycle requirements are reciprocated if the customer presents a driver license that includes a motorcycle endorsement from any one of the following:

  • Any State (except Alabama, unless the customer presents a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course completion card that is not more than one year old, or it is considered invalid)
  • United States Territories and Possessions (including Panama Canal Zone if issued prior to January 1, 2000)
  • Canada, France, Germany, Taiwan, United States Military

Do I need to bring my own motorcycle?

  • NO-- PCMT provides a motorcycle.

Do I need to bring a helmet?

  • NO: PCMT supplies a DOT approved helmet, but if student currently owns their own DOT approved helmet that fits properly and is not more than 5 years old, they are welcome to bring it with them. Some form of eye protection is needed as well (face shield, goggles, or riding glasses).

What do I need to bring with me to class?

  • Long pants without holes
  • long sleeved shirt or jacket
  • over the ankle footwear
  • full fingered gloves
  • Eye glasses if required for reading or driving

What are the minimum requirements to attend the BRC?

  • Class E license or learners permit
  • Be able to ride a bicycle
  • NOTE: Those under the age of 16 will not be able to obtain their endorsement until they reach the age of 16.

Person at DMV said I do not need insurance on a motorcycle, Is this true?

  • NO, All motorized vehicles operated on the the roadway are required to provide Liability insurance/ or other means of financial responsibility
  • Per Florida Statute Title XXII (motor vehicles) Chapter 324 Financial Responsibility
  •  .021 Definitions
  •        (1) MOTOR VEHICLE.—Every self-propelled vehicle that is designed and required to be licensed for use upon a highway
  •        (7) PROOF OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.—That proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of crashes arising out of the use of a motor vehicle:
    (a) In the amount of $10,000 because of bodily injury to, or death of, one person in any one crash;
    (b) Subject to such limits for one person, in the amount of $20,000 because of bodily injury to, or death of, two or more persons in any one crash;
    (c) In the amount of $10,000 because of injury to, or destruction of, property of others in any one crash


What do I need to know before attending the BRC?

  • How to ride a bicycle

Panama City Motorcycle Training/Ride 2 Wheels

How do I get my motorcycle license (endorsement) ? 

1. Obtain a Class E license or learners permit

2. The state of Florida requires those persons seeking a motorcycle endorsement to complete the Basic RiderCourse (BRC) or Basic RiderCourse updated (BRCu) through a FRTP authorized Sponsor before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license.

3. Upon completion of the BRC or BRCu, applicant must visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), within 1 year of completion of course, and pay appropriate fees, to have endorsement added to their license or obtain a Motorcycle Only license.NOTE: MUST BE 16 Years old to obtain a motorcycle license.